Version 3.1 (working name 'sdo-makemake'). See planning pages, specifically #1212 for details.
This release is primarily concerned with hotel/accomodation vocabulary, improvements around dataset, and bug fixes.
- Issue #915: Added substantial vocabulary for hotels and related accomodation, alongside
a dedicated documentation page. New vocabulary includes
and several subtypes which can be used (via multiple typing)
alongside the existing Offer type. Other terms include
- Issue #1203: Fixes for accidental rollbacks in 3.0.
See Github for comprehensive analysis and details. Restored several definitions:
paymentStatus lacked PaymentStatusType from #518;
breastfeedingWarning, healthCondition, prescriptionStatus
and secondaryPrevention have been migrated into health-lifesci.schema.org as planned;
SocialMediaPosting has supertype of BlogPost (from #526) rather than Article;
genre expects URL values (from #346);
affiliation is a sub-property of memberOf (per #596);
cookTime, prepTime and totalTime definitions hyperlink to ISO 8601 details;
publisher property can reference Person (fix for #1198, restoring #611);
videoFormat is again expected on BroadcastEvent, ScreeningEvent (and BroadcastService),
rather than TelevisionStation (per #577);
parentOrganization and subOrganization are noted as mutual inverses (per #g535);
codeSampleType description improved per #343;
netWorth definition now correctly omits Organization (per #585).
- Issue #900: Extended isAccessibleForFree to be expected potentially on any Event or
- Issue #996:
Added DateTime to expected values for startDate, endDate, commentTime.
- Issue #1083: Improvements primarily around Dataset, generalized spatial property of Dataset to become spatialCoverage of any CreativeWork; similarly generalized temporal as temporalCoverage.
Indicated that spatialCoverage is a subproperty of contentLocation.
Broadened sponsor to apply to creative works such as datasets, and added a more specific subproperty to indicate
funder. Amended definition of MediaObject to match its use as a supertype of
DataDownload. Amended fileFormat to allow URL as a way of indicating niche or unregistered file formats (common for scientific datasets). Added a draft variablesMeasured property to the
Quick fixes and Examples
The following Early Access fixes have already been published since 3.0:
- Issue #1159: Fixed problems with W3C validator, caching, and misclassification of manufacturer property which in in core rather than health-lifesci extension.
- Issue #1165: Improved wording for term pages that are not in core, to avoid publishers worrying that they need to change their markup.
- Issue #1136: Fixed term labels to always be alphanumeric (no 'bib:' prefixes etc.)
- Issue #1168: Fixed unit tests to run against extension schema data as well as core.
- Issue #1169: Fixes for property/type associations in health-lifesci and pending drafts, identified by improved unit tests.
- Issue #1174: Fix for missing definition for 'ingredients'.
Version 3.0 (working name 'sdo-deimos'). See planning pages, specifically #911 for details.
This release introduces three new extensions.
- The meta.schema.org extension contains terms primarily designed to support the implementation of the Schema.org vocabulary itself.
- The pending.schema.org extension is a staging area for work-in-progress terms which have yet to be accepted into the core vocabulary. Pending terms are subject to change and should be used with caution.
- The health-lifesci.schema.org extension is a new home for our existing Medical and healthcare related terms, as well as potential future collaborative work.
The initial releases of bib.schema.org and auto.schema.org have also been finalized.
In addition to numerous vocabulary-related improvements, we have added a new "How we work" document providing an overview of the project's approach to schema development, collaboration, versioning and change review.
In particular it documents the use of the new pending extension, which gives earlier access to proposed new schema designs,
as well the parallel webschemas.org site which shows the latest work-in-progress version of the entire schema.org site.
- Issue #845: Added vocabulary for suitability to restricted diets in Recipe (suitableForDiet, RestrictedDiet).
- Issue #1005: Generalized some properties from Product to apply also to Service - audience, brand, logo, isRelatedTo, isSimilarTo.
- Issue #880: Added disambiguatingDescription to explicitly indicate short Wikipedia-like disambiguating descriptions.
- Issue #1048: Added DigitalDocument and subtypes SpreadsheetDigitalDocument,
PresentationDigitalDocument, TextDigitalDocument, NoteDigitalDocument. Also
a hasDigitalDocumentPermission property of these whose value is a DigitalDocumentPermission type. A permissionType property of each DigitalDocumentPermission has
values that are from a DigitalDocumentPermissionType enumeration: CommentPermission, ReadPermission, WritePermission.
The grantee property indicates in each case the person, organization, contact point, or audience that has been granted that permission.
- Issue #888: Added PreSale to the ItemAvailability enumerated values.
- Issue #962: Broadened definition of sponsor property.
- Issue #961: Improved wording of validThrough, and added JobPosting to allow markup for job posting closing dates.
- Issue #1020: Added new subtypes of CreativeWork: Message and Conversation. Marked EmailMessage as a subtype of Message.
- Issue #1079: Created ComputerLanguage, amended programmingLanguage to expect it (and Text); amended Language to focus on natural languages. Noted that BCP 47 should be used for natural language tagging, via alternateName property. Amended availableLanguage to indicate that Text values are expected, that BCP 47 is encouraged, and to cross-reference with inLanguage.
- Issue #1092: Amended contributor, actor, translator, director, composer to apply to Event.
- Issue #969: Integrated improvements from FIBO to core terminology around financial products, including the addition of MonetaryAmount (superseding DatedMoneySpecification) and CompoundPriceSpecification, alongside improved wording around CreditCard, PriceSpecification.
- Issue #923: Created schema.org entries for Monday-Friday and PublicHolidays, based on the GoodRelations originals. Also clarified OpeningHoursSpecification and added a specialOpeningHoursSpecification property to allow for general opening hours to be overridden.
- Issue #541: Added enumerations for male and female, but allow other values as well.
- see also Issue #492 below; many terms have been moved from the core into health-lifesci.
- Issue #492: Moved a large number of medical/health terms from core into a health-lifesci extension.
The pending extension is a staging area for work-in-progress terms which have yet to be accepted into the core vocabulary.
- Issue #1059: Created hosted extensions for 'meta' vocabulary and for 'pending' vocabulary under review. Moved Class, Property, domainIncludes, rangeIncludes, inverseOf, supersededBy into meta.
- Issue #256: Implementation of HTTP HEAD for all pages.
- Issue #1095: ETag and Last-Modified headers only for successful page requests.
- Issue #1098: Added categorization of terms listed on extension home page.
- Issue #990: JSON-LD context file should enumerate all terms. This will make it easier to combine the use of schema.org with other vocabularies and extensions.
- Issue #1075: Added markdown format processing of comment fields. This makes the schema editing process easier, especially for cross-referencing related terms.
- Issue 178: Integrated rdflib python library. This improves our ability to parse RDFa and JSON-LD schema definitions, and makes unit tests easier to run.
- #Issue 1109: We now display when a type is superseded.
Quick fixes and Examples
- [core] Issue #1097: partOfOrder and partOfSystem are no longer marked as sub-properties of isPartOf since they are not relations between creative works.
- [core] #Issue 1102: Examples fixed to avoid 'content' attribute on
span element in Microdata.
- [core] Issue #1066: Cleanup around Dataset / DataCatalog association: renamed containedDataCatalog as containedInDataCatalog, marked it as inverse of dataset and improved wording of both definitions.
- [core] Issue #1073: Removed redundant types listed for branchCode - Place already covered LocalBusiness and Store.
- [core] Issue #1081: Added AudiobookFormat to the BookFormatType, for consistency. Note that the bib extension also has a dedicated type for describing audio books.
- [core] Issue #950: isBasedOnUrl now called isBasedOn; isBasedOnUrl still exists but is marked as supersededBy isBasedOn. Extended range to include (for now just) CreativeWork, Product.
- [core] Issue #929: Marked subEvent and superEvent as inverses of each other.
- [core] Issue #929: the colleague property now also expects URL values (and for JSON-LD therefore expects things not strings by default).
- [core] Various typo fixes (including #1014).
- [core] Issue #966: Fixed bug in PropertyValue JSON-LD example.
- [core] Issue #912: Added education/learning examples (from Phil Barker / LRMI):
- [core] Issue #899: Bugfix for a few pages that were returning 500 error codes (published 2015-12-10).
- [core] Issue #904: Simplified JSON-LD examples for Periodical (published 2015-12-10).
- [core] Issue #1015: Fixed spelling of "content" in FoodEstablishment example.
- [core] Issue #997: Expanded sharedContent to coverage of SocialMediaPosting example.
- [core] Issue #992: Removed an example from QAPage since the example didn't illustrate the term's use.
- [core] Issue #836: Markup fixes to examples of PropertyValue.
- [core] Issue #143: Fixed openingHours examples to use
span element instead of
time, and some
time examples to use
datetime attribute instead of
- [core] Issue #3905: CSS fix to Actions document.
- [core] Issue #511: Microdata examples fixed to use '
href' example on '
link' element instead of '
content' on '
- [core] Issue #533: OpeningHoursSpecification example: various fixes including better use of '
- [bib] Issue #984: bug fixes for bib.schema.org/Chapter example.
Version 2.2 (working name 'sdo-phobos'). This release combines a range of small additions across several areas of schema.org with an ongoing
concern for cleanup and integration of existing vocabulary. Notable additions include ExhibitionEvent,
Barcode, DataFeed, containsPlace, GeoCircle,
geoRadius, geoMidpoint, providerMobility
and actionPlatform. A number of changes improve our handling of Service description, including the
deprecation of the ProfessionalService construct. We have kept all the specific types that were previously
considered ProfessionalService but discourage the use of the type 'ProfessionalService' since it is easily confused with 'Service'.
- Issue #773: Added actionPlatform as a simpler mechanism to specify the platform for EntryPoint targets.
- Issue #823: Marked homeLocation, workLocation as subproperties of location, and marked location as expecting textual values.
- Issue #818: Added OfferCatalog for specifying a catalog of offers by an Organization or Service.
- Issue #817: Added providerMobility to describe whether a service provider is at a fixed location or has a dynamic location.
- Issue #445: Added ExhibitionEvent and added a superproperty of workPresented and workPerformed to cover event-to-work relationships such as a work being exhibited.
- Issue #113: Added GeoCircle as a subtype of GeoShape, providing
a more usable mechanism than circle structured text; added geoRadius, geoMidpoint to describe the size and location of these circular areas.
- Issue #323: Added locationCreated to CreativeWork.
- Issue #811: Renamed containedIn as containedInPlace, and added an inverse containsPlace.
- Issue #810: postalCode and addressCountry are now an expected property for GeoShape and GeoCoordinates.
Adjusted addressCountry to allow textual values, matching the existing definition.
- Issue #801:
Broadened award, category, offers to be applicable on Service.
Extended itemOffered to expect Service as a possible value.
Added LegalService as a supertype for Notary, Attorney.
Marked ProfessionalService as deprecated, with some explanation, and added a brief account of
the relationship with Service to some of the more service-oriented local business types
e.g. LegalService, HomeAndConstructionBusiness.
A cluster of construction-related local businesses
formerly treated as ProfessionalService continue as HomeAndConstructionBusiness subtypes.
Marked Attorney as deprecated in favor of LegalService
per #784. Added hoursAvailable to Service.
- Issue #411
Clarification and cleanup around areaServed, now marked as a super-property of
the more specific eligibleRegion and availableAtOrFrom properties.
Cross-referenced eligibleRegion and ineligibleRegion.
Marked serviceArea as supersededBy areaServed. Updated the associated
types for areaServed to cover those used by its sub-properties.
- Issue #808: The address property now anticipates Text values, to support unstructured address data.
- Issue #802: Referenced World Geotic System from GeoCoordinates properties (elevation, longitude, latitude); made address an expected property for GeoCoordinates and GeoShape.
- Issue #796 Added offeredBy property to relate an Offer to a Person or Organisation. Inverse of makesOffer.
- Issue #791 Added branchCode to represent codes identifying stores and other business locations.
- Issue #790 Broadened fileFormat to be usable with CreativeWork, and improved the description.
- Issue #687: Added Barcode as a subtype of ImageObject.
- Issue #688: Added DataFeed and DataFeedItem to represent a data feed of structured items and supportingData for using DataFeed to provide data to a software application.
- Issue #767: Added countryOfOrigin property to Movie, TVEpisode, TVSeason, and TVSeries.
- Issue #768: Added broadcastOfEvent property to BroadcastEvent to allow for specifying the event being broadcasted.
- Issue #432: Added Organization to domain of alumni and to range of alumniOf properties.
Quick fixes and Examples
|Version 2.1 (working name 'sdo-ganymede') includes many small fixes, some new vocabulary, as well as the first release of the 'hosted extensions' mechanism, featuring bib(liographic) and auto(mobile) extensions for final review. A pre-release of this version of schema.org was available at sdo-ganymede.appspot.com/ for review.
- Issue #611: Added Person as expected value for publisher property.
- Issue #596: Documented that affiliation is a sub-property of memberOf.
- Issue #207: Added a Bridge type under CivicStructure.
- Issue #346: Added URL as expected value for genre property.
- Issue #374: Added Report type under Article, and a reportNumber property.
- Issue #577: Amended videoFormat to indicate that it is expected on BroadcastEvent and ScreeningEvent, rather than TelevisionStation.
- Issue #535: Broadened domain of parentOrganization to allow any Organization, rather than only LocalBusiness. Noted parentOrganization and subOrganization as inverses.
- Issue #531: Added the lyrics property to MusicComposition.
- Issue #518: Renamed paymentDue property to paymentDueDate. Changed paymentStatus property to expect an enumerated value of type PaymentStatusType in addition to Text. The options are: PaymentComplete, PaymentDue, PaymentPastDue, PaymentDeclined and PaymentAutomaticallyApplied.
- Issue #137: Deprecated UserInteraction and its children in favor of a new type: InteractionCounter. InteractionCounter allows for reporting aggregated statistics by service and type. Thanks elf Pavlik for collaboration.
- Issue #526: Added new types LiveBlogPosting, SocialMediaPosting, and DiscussionForumPosting, alongside supporting properties.
- Issue #334: Updated the controlled values for accessibilityHazard shown in examples to follow latest community recommendations: 'noFlashing' is now 'noFlashingHazard', 'noMotionSimulation' is 'noMotionSimulationHazard', and 'noSound' is 'noSoundHazard'.
- Issue #429: Hosted extensions e.g. bib.schema.org are now enabled and linked from 'core' pages with appropriate navigation and styling.
- Issue #655: Extension definitions now include an isPartOf property to link them to the extension.
- Issue #527: Added materials from Kickoff Workshop in 2011.
- Issue #78: Multiple supertypes are now displayed properly. It is possible for several schema.org types to apply to a single thing, and for a type to have multiple parent types. This is relatively rare, but important to display. For example, anything that is a LocalBusiness is considered both an Organization and a Place; so all subtypes of LocalBusiness have both as supertypes. We can now show this more clearly, e.g. ElectronicsStore.
- Added CSS for explicit styling (
) in releases page during Steering Group review of candidate releases.
- Issue #557, #660, #695, #469: Several DataType-related navigation fixes, following recent modeling changes.
- Issue #548: Added a favicon.ico image. The text is tiny and not intended for humans to read.
- Behind the scenes: cleanup and improvements to Python code, unit tests, CSS, filetree layout.
Quick fixes and Examples
|Version 2.0 consolidates and integrates schema.org's existing vocabulary. This version features many updated definitions, type/property associations and term names that
improve consistency and usability. It also introduces a new extension system.
Version 2.0 adds various new terms including mainEntityOfPage and major contributions from the
Automotive Ontology community.
Issue #262: Added new vocabulary for Car:
The new vocabulary includes a number of properties such as: numberOfAirbags,
Thanks to Martin Hepp, Mirek Sopek, Karol Szczepański and others
in the Automotive Ontology community group.
We anticipate substantial additions that build on this foundation will be contributed as an extension.
Issue #301: Added a generic property/values mechanism, building upon PropertyValueSpecification, StructuredValue and value; added
PropertyValue and additionalProperty. See examples for usage. This is a lightweight
mechanism to allow markup of properties that are not easily mapped to existing schema.org properties. Whenever possible, it is generally better to use a dedicated schema.org property if one exists.
- Issue #301: Added mainEntityOfPage (and an inverse, mainEntity) to indicate which of the entities mentioned in a page is its primary topic.
- Issue #225: Added a schemaVersion property, for use by applications that require more precise referencing of schema versions.
- Issue #266: Added OrderItem to allow ParcelDelivery to be tracked per item, not just on an entire Order.
- Issue #170: Clarifying CommentAction, Comment by deprecating UserComments. Several mentions of UserComments removed from other terms. 'inLanguage' supersedes 'language'. Added a resultComment property. UserInteraction and sub-types will be deprecated.
- Issue #300: Answer is now a sub-type of Comment. The 'question' property expects 'Question' type for its values (rather than Text as in AskAction previously). Added resultComment on ReplyAction. Cleaned up examples.
- Issue #130: Amended True and False to be instances (rather than sub-types) of Boolean.
- Issue #218: Amended DataType to model it as a sub-class of Class, with each datatype e.g. Boolean, Text, Date, DateTime, Time etc. being classes that have a typeOf DataType. DataTypes can have sub-types, e.g. Integer and Float are subtypes of Number.
- Issue #328: Added ScreeningEvent to support movie/video screenings.
- Issue #314: Added MovieClip and VideoGameClip as parallels to TVClip and RadioClip.
- Issue #122: Added gtin12 property for Product.
- Issue #417: Renamed many types and properties, which had overly generic names. This is no cause for alarm,
the superseded names can still be used, although we encourage consumers and producers of schema.org data to move towards the newer terminology.
CreativeWorkSeason was Season,
CreativeWorkSeries was Series,
SoftwareSourceCode was Code,
TaxiService was Taxi,
actionApplication was application,
actionOption was option,
artMedium was material,
artworkSurface was surface,
availableOnDevice was device,
branchOf was parentOrganization,
broadcastTimezone was timezone,
codeSampleType was sampleType,
containsSeason was season,
datasetTimeInterval was temporal,
executableLibraryName was assembly,
exerciseCourse was course,
exerciseRelatedDiet was diet,
incentiveCompensation was incentives,
includedDataCatalog was catalog,
isAccessibleForFree was free,
jobBenefits was benefits,
runtimePlatform was runtime,
serviceArea was area,
serviceOutput was produces,
softwareRequirements was requirements,
targetCollection was collection.
- Issue #429: Implementation of new extension system.
- Issue #6: Improved 404 handler for missing pages, with support for old-style "/Person/Minister" extension URLs and Action-related "/query-input" pseudo-properties.
- Issue #318: Added an experimental JSON(-LD) view of the hierarchy. This combines D3 with RDF schema. Thanks to Gregg Kellogg and Sandro Hawke for collaboration.
- Various behind-the-scenes improvement to the site software.
Quick fixes and Examples
- Issue #119: Added a link to GS1's page giving background information on /globalLocationNumber.
- Issue #471: Added a JSON example for exampleOfWork and workExample.
- Issue #131: Amended category to be applicable to Product
- Issue #8: Fixed description of box to follow the original rNews definition (instead of accidental copy of polygon). Added explanatory text to GeoShape regarding commas/whitespace.
- Issue #224: Changed expected value of openingHours to be Text rather than Duration, since latter is for ISO formats not our custom micro-syntax.
- Issue #112: Clarified that upvoteCount and downvoteCount apply to questions, answers and comments (rather than just to questions).
- Issue #103: Clarified description of StructuredValue.
- Issue #333: Clarified description of BreadcrumbList.
- Issue 456: Generalized numberOfEmployees, to apply to Organization as well as to BusinessAudience.
- Issue #439: Clarified numberOfItems with multi-page pagination.
- Fixed the mapping from DataCatalog to dcat:Catalog
- Issue #341: Amended programmingLanguage to expect a Language rather than a Thing.
- Issue #365: Extended award for use on Organization, Product.
- Issue #145: Marked serviceAudience as supersededBy the more general audience property.
- Issue #165: Renamed ingredients to recipeIngredient, improved the description, and added ItemList as a possible value for recipeInstructions.
- Issue #171: Removed Class as a value of query property.
- Issue #183: comment property now applicable to an RsvpAction, and can have Comment as values.
- Issue #193: aggregateRating and review properties are now expected on Brand, Event, Service.
- Issue #247: We now write "antonym" instead of the incorrect "antagonym" in several Action definitions.
- Issue #316: Marked warrantyPromise as supersededBy warranty.
- Issue #213: Amended eligibleRegion and ineligibleRegion to have the same associated types.
- Issue #315: Updated BroadcastService, marking it as a kind of Service rather than just Thing.
- Issue #426: Broadened supersededBy to be usable with classes and enumerations.
- Issue #366: Reworded description of publication to use 'item' instead of a list of types (which had omitted Book), and marked it as applicable to CreativeWork.
- Issue #288: added properties related to boarding passes to FlightReservation.
- Issue #329: expanded BroadcastService and added new types CableOrSatelliteService, BroadcastChannel, TelevisionChannel, and RadioChannel to support TV/radio schedules. Thanks, Yves Raimond for careful review.
- Issue #335: added gameLocation to VideoGameSeries.
- Issue #336: added actor and director to Series.
- Issue #364: replaced non-existent Award type with Book in WinAction type. Thanks, unor.
- Issue #386: Fixed extra spaces in labels.
|Lots of bugfixes and small improvements, plus new terms to describe visual artworks and invoices.
- Added VisualArtwork type and supporting properties - artEdition, artform, material, surface. Thanks, Paul Watson.
- Added an Invoice type to represent invoices/bills, with additional properties totalPaymentDue,
minimumPaymentDue, accountId, scheduledPaymentDate, billingPeriod, paymentStatus, referencesOrder.
- Fix to allow offers on AggregateOffer. Thanks, Simon Spero, Zinebb.
- Expanded the list of types that musicBy applies to, matching those of actor and director. Thanks, Simon Spero.
- Adding priceSpecification to TradeAction type, fixing #305.
- Adding deliveryMethod to OrderAction type, fixing #306.
- Adjusted description of width, height and depth properties to be "the ___ of the item.", rather than list specific types.
Quick fixes and Examples
- Fixes to several examples, thanks to Gregg Kellogg.
- Fixes to Book example, thanks to unor.
- Added name property in CreativeWork examples; Improved MedicalScholarlyArticle example, marking up the abstract using description - thanks to Dan Scott.
- Corrected a case typo in numberOfEmployees. Thanks, Stéphane Corlosquet.
- Fixed mistaken use of "MovieGameSeries"; reported by both Gregg and Simon.
- Fixed valuePattern definition; it takes Text values, not Number. Thanks, Holger.
- Fixed definitions for fromLocation, toLocation; they do not support numeric values. Thanks, Simon Spero.
- Fixed producer property; it takes an Organization value, rather than applying to organizations. Thanks, unor.
- Fixed typo: clinicalPharmacology is supersededBy clinicalPharmacology. Thanks, Marc.
- Fixed an example that used "Address" instead of PostalAddress. Thanks, unor.
- Added 100+ periods / full stops (".") to end each definition.
|ItemList and BreadcrumbList changes; Sports-related improvements; Added a Music vocabulary; Video games. Also weight/height on Person; Control and RSVP actions; Role names; Dated monetary values.
- Updated ItemList to allow for richer kinds of lists (including ordering), rather than just strings; added BreadcrumbList
- The weight and height properties can now be with the Person type. Added netWorth to Person. Added EmployeeRole.
- Added SportsOrganization as a super-type of SportsTeam,
representing sports organizations, including sports teams, governing bodies, and sports associations.
Added a sport property to indicate the associated sport(s) for a SportsOrganization; also
added coach and athlete properties.
Added numberedPosition property to OrganizationRole.
Added homeTeam and awayTeam properties to SportsEvent, alongside a super-property of those, competitor.
- Added a VideoGame type with two super-types:
SoftwareApplication and a new Game type.
We anticipate a need for future work around Game,
see issue #169.
VideoGame has cheatCode,
and gameTip properties, plus a few supporting types. A property softwareHelp
has also been added to SoftwareApplication to indicate supporting documentation.
- While integrating VideoGame an issue was
raised around the need to describe series of games.
As a result we have made some changes to the Series type, which previously emphasised only
TV and Radio Series: added VideoGameSeries,
BookSeries, and MovieSeries. The recently added
Periodical type is also now modeled as a Series subtype. Some redundant
type/property associations were also tidied up. The existing
trailer property can now be used with
VideoGame and VideoGameSeries.
Added ControlAction (previously proposed as OperateAction). Add expectsAcceptanceOf
on ConsumeAction (previously proposed as 'contingentOnOffer'). Added ineligibleRegion
(on Offer, previously proposed as 'notAvailableAtOrFrom').
- Add rsvpResponse, additionalNumberOfGuests properties
to the existing RsvpAction type
(see also github issue and details).
This change also adds an enumeration RsvpResponseType: RsvpResponseYes, RsvpResponseNo,
RsvpResponseMaybe. Finally, we add a new possible ActionStatusType: FailedActionStatus,
alongside an error property linking an Action to more information on the cause of the failure.
- Add roleName to Role, superceding namedPosition (see also issue and details).
- Add to MusicAlbum properties: albumProductionType,
albumReleaseType, albumRelease (and inverse, releaseOf).
Supporting enumerated types: MusicAlbumProductionType (CompilationAlbum, DemoAlbum,
DJMixAlbum, LiveAlbum, MixtapeAlbum, RemixAlbum,
SoundtrackAlbum, SpokenWordAlbum, StudioAlbum.
MusicAlbumReleaseType (AlbumRelease, BroadcastRelease, EPRelease,
Add new types: MusicRelease, MusicComposition, the latter with properties musicArrangement,
composer, firstPerformance, includedComposition, iswcCode,
lyricist, musicCompositionForm, musicalKey, recordedAs (inverse: recordingOf).
Expand track to allow ItemList values, for lists of MusicRecording, and
genre to apply to MusicGroup. See also details.
- Broadened the description of logo property, to match the types it applies to. See also github issue and details.
- Added a DatedMoneySpecification type for non-price monetary values, by analogy with PriceSpecification and its subtypes. Added amount and
currency properties and tweaked startDate and endDate property definitions to fit.
- See also blog post...
Quick fixes and Examples
See also issue list for this release.
|Offer/price documentation fixes, cleanup and community contributions.
- Updated text of the price property to include practical usage guidance, alongside
links to information from GS1 to the gtin-related Offer properties.
- Updated all our examples to follow that guidance; primarily by using priceCurrency and the content= attribute.
- Noted our thanks to the OpenDomain project for our domain name.
- Updated the text of the 'image' property to match its expected types. Thanks, Dan Scott.
- Changed spelling of 'supercededBy' to the more conventional supersededBy. Thanks, Sachini Aparna Herath.
- Noted that 'logo' and 'photo' are sub-properties of 'image'. Thanks, Sachini Aparna Herath, again.
- Fixed two syntax errors in examples (Store opening hours RDFa; Book, PublicationVolume Microdata). Thanks, Gregg Kellogg.
- Added Tolkien-based examples for exampleOfWork/workExample. Thanks, Dan Scott, again.
- Fixed a bug with our UTF-8 support. Thanks, Richard Wallis.
|Bibliographic improvements (Periodical and more) alongside seller/broker/provider clarifications.
Several bibliographic improvements, thanks to the work of the W3C BibExtend Community Group.
Improved handling of Periodicals, Articles and Multi-volume Works,
introducing types and supporting properties for Periodical,
PublicationIssue. Adds new Article properties:
pageStart, pageEnd and pagination.
CreativeWork gains a convenience inverse of isPartOf called
hasPart, as well as a new pair of inverses, workExample and
exampleOfWork that link specific and general perspectives on creative works. Many thanks to
all the BibExtend group members, to Richard Wallis
for chairing, and to Dan Scott for implementing.
Provider/Seller vocabulary: this update also clarifies how to use a set of related terms, integrating sections of schema.org that had developed
separately. Full details are documented at W3C
and in Github, alongside an overview document.
The provider property describes a service provider, service operator, or service performer, while
seller describe the entities which sell or offer a service on behalf of an actual service provider. We
introduce a more general broker property (replacing the over-specific bookingAgent),
as well as deprecating vendor and merchant in favour of seller.
Regarding flights and parcel delivery, carrier is
superseded by provider. Please also note that flightNumber should now be written in full (i.e. "UA110" rather than just "110").
See the supporting documents for details.
Finally, episodeNumber, seasonNumber and
clipNumber (for TV/Radio) have been harmonized with the periodicals design
(issueNumber and volumeNumber). In each case, both Integer
and Text values are anticipated. A common superproperty, position can also be used. This
reflects implementation experience and
establishes a model that can be applied elsewhere, e.g. ongoing work on describing music.
This update also improves the display and navigation of supersededBy relations between
schema.org properties (e.g. see seller).
The Terms of service document was also updated to note
that Yandex is now a schema.org Sponsor and to adopt the patent terms used by W3C.
|Added WebSite type; broadened isPartOf property.
Added a new CreativeWork type, WebSite: "A WebSite is a set of related web pages and other items typically
served from a single web domain and accessible via URLs." Also adopts the suggestion made by the BibExtend group and other
collaborators, to broaden the isPartOf property, which now relates any CreativeWork to any other CreativeWork.
This release also makes the Potential Actions documentation available in HTML.
Several markup fixes from Stéphane Corlosquet, alongside
improvements to the consistency of encoding /
associatedMedia property definitions thanks to Dan Scott.
|Allows image with ImageObject; adds Event organizers,
||This release amends the image property, noting that ImageObject is a
reasonable value. It also adds an organizer property to
Event. Changes around Map: we add and prefer a 'hasMap' property
which supersedes the older 'map' property, and we add a mapType property which comes with some enumerated values:
ParkingMap, SeatingMap, TransitMap,
VenueMap. A Map might be (but needn't be) also an ImageObject.
|Roles, various fixes, site navigation improvements.
||This release introduced the notion of a Role type to schema.org. See the blog post
for details. The Role mechanism applies across all of schema.org, and allows simple statements to be elaborated or
qualified, for example with temporal information. Other changes in this release include the addition of a
license property, and some documentation of properties used internally by schema.org's documentation system
(Property, Class, supersededBy, inverseOf).
Fixed an embarrassing typo - "dead" - in the diet property - thanks, Dan Scott. Various other
small changes - listed in the preview announcement.
|Tweaks and fixes.
||Tweaks to definition of 'keywords' to indicate that comma-separated entries are expected.
Several typo fixes from Stéphane Corlosquet. Adds a new icaoCode
text-valued property for Airport.
Updated description for flightNumber to note "not including the airline IATA code".
Added missing Actions-related definitions (urlTemplate, valueName).
|Examples, examples, examples.
Added two examples to accompany workPerformed. Added several local business, company contact and music event examples.
Several glitch and typo fixes including MedicalEnumeration, thanks to Dan Scott.
announcement blog post
Added workPerformed, a relationship between an Event and a CreativeWork
that is performed at the event.
Introduces vocabulary that enables websites to describe the actions they enable and how these actions can be invoked.
|Reservations, Q/A and more.
Added a Reservation schema. Question/Answer sites. Order changes. Added EmailMessage.
1.) This release of schema.org adds a finalized Reservations schema, which refines
earlier proposals discussed in the Web Schemas community over the last year.
See wiki for details.
The Reservations vocabulary includes: Reservation, ReservationPackage,
2.) Q/A sites
A simple vocabulary for Question/Answer and FAQ sites. It adds types for Question, Answer, and QAPage.
3.) Adds a type EmailMessage, analogous to the existing WebPage type.
(candidate release drafted as '1.0g'; not
formally announced but included in the change
to github-based publishing)
|Not-for-profit Offer and other fixes.
||This version adapts the wording around the Offer type to suit non-profit scenarios,
such as libraries. Thanks to Dan Scott and the BibExtend group for these proposals.
This change broadens the definition of Offer and makes associated changes to
OfferItemCondition, typically rewording "the item for sale" to
simply say "the item". The itemOffered property is now defined more
appropriately as "The item being offered." rather than "...sold.". The "seller"
property is now defined as "The organization or person making the offer.", a compromise to support
its use for more kinds of offer.
|Accessibility properties and Order type.
This release includes a schema for describing Orders,
as well as the Accessibility properties for
The W3C WebSchemas wiki has the Order proposal and
For Accessibility, see the blog post
for more background on the collaborations involved. See also
and the draft schema.
|TV/Radio; Civic Services; ContactPoint Event and Organization improvements.
TV/Radio improvements in collaboration with BBC and EBU - see guest blog post by Yves Raimond.
For example see TVEpisode.
For Background see the TV/Radio wiki entry.
Civic Services (which includes ContactPoint) was blogged
when first discussed. See also wiki entry.
Example type: GovernmentService.
Event improvements: wiki entry.
Organization improvements: wiki entry.
In particular, this update added department, and
|Actions (in the past).
Introduced a (past-tense) Actions vocabulary (see wiki)
This updated added an Action type, supporting properties, and a substantial set of subtypes. It was
followed in 2014 by a mechanism for describing potential actions.
|Added sameAs; broadened citation.
Adds sameAs property to Thing that makes it easier to indicate identifying URLs for entities
being described (wiki).
The citation property has been moved up to CreativeWork, from
Thanks to the BibExtend group for suggesting this small but useful improvement.
|Adds LRMI, Datasets, Audience, Technical Publishing vocabulary and more.
For LRMI (Learning Resource Metadata Initiative), a collaboration co-led
by Association of Educational Publishers (AEP) and Creative Commons:
Added several properties, mainly to CreativeWork.
Added AlignmentObject type, for aligning content to educational coding schemes.
Added Dataset type (collaboration building upon work at W3C and elsewhere).
See also blog,
Added Audience and related types, useful for LRMI and other applications
Added Technical Publishing vocabulary: TechArticle, APIReference,
Code. See also early
blog post and Wiki entries for TechArticleSchema,
|Added Good Relations e-commerce vocabulary.
||Added substantial e-commerce vocabulary based on Good Relations;
re-engineered site to accept RDFa/RDFS schema definitions from community.(wiki)
(announcement blog post
and email from Martin Hepp)
|Fix for requiresSubscription property.
A minor bugfix release, which improved the documentation of requiresSubscription property.
We now encourage its Boolean value to be represented as true/false rather than yes/no.
|Added DateTime, Time datatypes.
||Added two datatypes in preparation for Good Relations integration.
|Added additionalType property.
||Added additionalType property (wiki).
"An additional type for the
item, typically used for adding more specific types from external
vocabularies in microdata syntax. This is a relationship between
something and a class that the thing is in. In RDFa syntax, it is
better to use the native RDFa syntax - the 'typeof' attribute - for
multiple types. Schema.org tools may have only weaker understanding of
extra types, in particular those defined externally."
|Added Medical/Health vocabulary.
This release added substantial vocabulary in the medical/health domain (around 100 classes, 200 properties). The additions are
mainly organized beneath the MedicalEntity type. An
overview document is also provided. From the blog post:
"This collaborative project drew upon search expertise from the schema.org partners but also gained immeasurably through feedback from expert reviewers including the US NCBI; physicians at Harvard, Duke and other institutions, as well as from several health Web sites. Contributions from the W3C Healthcare and Lifesciences group and Web Schemas community also helped bridge the complex worlds of Web standards, search and medicine/healthcare."
|Removed plural 's' suffix from repeatable properties; added Comment type, SoftwareApplication vocabulary.
Added new properties per Singularity proposal:
23 changes: actor, album, attendee, award, blogPost, colleague, contactPoint, employee, encoding, episode, event, founder, map, member, parent, performer, photo, review, season, sibling, significantLink, subEvent, track.
Each of these originally had a plural 's' to indicate repeatability. After discussion in the W3C WebSchemas group, the consensus was that
this was confusing and worthwhile changing.
This revision added a new type, 'Comment', whose super-type is CreativeWork
Also adds SoftwareApplication and supporting vocabulary (wiki, original proposal),
including MobileApplication, WebApplication subtypes.
Converged URL/Url spelling. After WebSchemas discussion, consensus was:
For each of embedURL, contentURL, downloadURL, ensure there is an equivalent property named with mixed-case: 'embedUrl', 'contentUrl', 'downloadUrl'.
Note: this table is not currently complete - it misses 0.92-0.94 and any changes between 2011-06-02 and 2012-04-21(0.91). See also Linked Open Vocabularies entry.